[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Mon 2004-02-09 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Tom Lewellen (Dept. of Radiology, Univ. of Washington)

Title:     Initial experience with a new scintillator; LFS

Abstract: Our Nuclear Medicine physics group is actively involved in the development of new detector systems for positron emission tomography (PET) as the development of PET scanners for small animal applications. Part of such development efforts is a continual re-evaluation of the scintillators available for PET applications; a favorite pastime for both academic and commercial PET developers. The ideal scintillator would be at least as bright as NaI(Tl), at least as dense as BGO, having timing resolution better than 500 ps, and be inexpensive. Of course the ideal scintillator has not been found yet, but Zecotech has developed a new scintillator for applications such as ours that offers some advantages over existing materials. The scintillator, LFS, is similar to LSO in its properties, but is expected to cost less to grow. This presentation will include the results of our evaluation of LFS and how our laboratory plans to use the scintillator in our next generation of small animal PET scanners. Comparison of LFS to BGO, LSO, and LYSO will also be included.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.