[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 05:00:01 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2004-04-22 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jean-Marc Sparenberg (TRIUMF)

Title:     New potential models for nuclear astrophysics illustrated with 7Be + p and 12C + alpha.

Abstract: Due to its simplicity, its intuitiveness and the quality of its predictions, the nucleus-nucleus potential model with for instance, a Woods-Saxon form factor, has always played an important role in nuclear reaction theory. However, when applied to nuclear astrophysics problems, it presents two drawbacks: first, contrary to microscopic models like the cluster model, it lacks ab initio foundations; second, contrary to phenomenological models like the reaction-matrix model, it lacks precision. In this talk I will present recent developments of the potential model that solve both problems by making no a priori hypothesis on the form factor. First, I will show how ab-initio-founded potentials can be deduced from microscopic models by using one-body overlap functions. This will be illustrated with recent 7Be + p calculations. Second, I will show how high-precision potentials can be deduced from scattering data by using inverse scattering techniques. This will be illustrated with recent 12C + alpha scattering data. In both cases the potential model will be shown to be an ideal tool to solve nuclear astrophysics puzzles.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.