[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Fri 2004-06-11 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Fabrice Retiere (LBL)

Title:     Heavy flavor at RHIC and the STAR microVertex detector upgrade

Abstract: Au-Au collisions produced at RHIC have striking features, which suggest that a new state of matter made of quarks and gluons has been created. Proving that quarks and gluons are themalized remains challenging because the theory of the strong interaction does not predict quantitatively how such quark gluon plasma may look like. A proof may be obtained experimentally by measuring charm and beauty hadrons at RHIC. Assessing whether or not charm and bottom quarks become embedded in a quark (u,d,s) gluon plasma, requires very precise measurements which are out of the reach of the current STAR detectors. Thus, a microVertex detector is being developed to identify the decay vertex of charm and bottom hadrons while coping with the high particle multiplicity found at RHIC. I will show the main features of the microVetex, highlighting our pioneering development of Active Pixel Sensors.

LADD detector physicist candidate

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk