[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Wed 2004-06-23 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Isabel Trigger (CERN)

Title:     The ATLAS Muon Spectrometer

Abstract: We do not know what new physics the Large Hadron Collider will reveal to us. All we know is that there must be new particles with masses in the kinematic reach of the LHC. We therefore build the ATLAS detector in such a way as to ensure that it will be able to detect any kind of new particle that is produced. In particular, I will discuss the challenges associated with building and aligning the ATLAS muon spectrometer. This must be able to measure the charge and momentum of muons with energies from a few GeV up to around a TeV, even at high rapidities. The ATLAS solution is a toroidal magnetic field surronding a device with dimensions of tens of metres and alignment requirements of tens of microns. I will discuss the technologies used, and show some results from beam tests and illustrations from software modelling.

ATLAS Research Scientist candidate

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.