[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2004-07-22 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jingbo Ye (Physics Department, Southern Methodist University)

Title:     The Optical Data Link for ATLAS Liquid Argon Calorimeter Front End Electronics Readout

Abstract: The ATLAS Liquid Argon Calorimeter is read out by the Front End Board (FEB). One FEB is read out by one optical data link. On the receiving side of this optical data link,a DSP based Read-Out-Driver (ROD) board receives data from 8 FEBs. A G-Link chipset based radiation resistant optical data link has been developed to send data from the FEB to the ROD at 1.6 Gbps. In this presentation I will discuss issues like system level design, particularly the jitter question in a high speed serial data link; component level radiation resistance evaluation; integration and testing; production and quality control and finally the project management among institutes from different continents. I will present not only the technical and successful aspects of this project, but also the lessons I learned from it and what I would do for future projects.

LADD detector physicist candidate.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.