[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 15:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Tue 2004-08-03 at 15:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Pierre Capel (Universite Libre de Bruxelles)

Title:     Breakup of halo nuclei by a time-dependent method

Abstract: I will present a method to study the breakup of one-nucleon halo nuclei. This method is based on a semiclassical approximation in which the projectile is seen as evolving in a time-dependent potential simulating its interaction with the target. This approximation leads to the numerical resolution of a time-dependent Schrodinger equation.

The main idea of the method is to expand the projectile wave function upon a three-dimensional spherical mesh. With this mesh the representation of the time-dependent potential is fully diagonal. Furthermore, it leads to a simple representation of the Hamiltonian modelling the halo nucleus. This expansion is used to derive an accurate evolution algorithim in which both the Coulomb and nuclear parts of the interaction between the projectile and the target can be easily taken into account.

I will analyse and illustrate this technique on three different cases: the breakup of 11Be, 15C and 8B on 208Pb. The very good agreement with experiment I have obtained led me to extend the model to nuclear induced breakup. I will also show the results obtained for the dissociation of 11Be on a carbon target. The quality of the results I have obtained suggests that the technique can be used to analyse the nuclear induced breakup of halo nuclei as well.

Reference: P Capel, D. Baye and V.S. Melezhik, PRC 68, 014612 (2003)

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.