[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2004-08-12 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Bruce Barrett (Department of Physics, University of Arizona)

Title:     The Ab Initio Large-basis No-core Shell Model

Abstract: The large-basis no-core shell-model (NCSM) approach allows one to perform ab initio calculations of the properties of nuclei up to mass A = 16. This technique is based on a separation between the model space and the excluded space at either the two-body or three-body cluster level. Results converged to very high accuracy have been obtained with this procedure for the A = 3 and A = 4 systems. For the A = 3 system we have also performed calculations including a two-pion-exchange three-nucleon (NNN) interaction. Recently calculations have been performed at the three-body cluster level for p-shell nuclei, with and without a NNN interaction. In the former case, we can investigate the influence of NNN forces on nuclear properties as well as study how various models for the NNN interaction differ in their description of nuclear structure. In the latter case, we are able to look at how convergence properties of our NCSM calculations are improved by increasing the cluster level. Application of our ab initio NCSM approach to p-shell nucei has allowed us to study, for example, the soft-dipole mode in 6He and the properties of exotic nuclei as well as to obtain a good approximation to the low-lying properties for the nuclei investigated.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.