[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2004-08-19 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   David Pinegar (University of Washington)

Title:     The University of Washington Penning Trap Mass Spectrometer;  New Apparatus for Precision Measurements

Abstract: In the research group of Robert Van Dyck Jr., at UW Seattle, we are preparing some new apparatus that should improve the precision and flexibility of our Penning Trap Mass Spectrometer (PTMS). I  will first give an introduction to our general measurement technique, which allows us to compare the cyclotron frequencies of various single ion in an extremely stable magnetic field. Using our recent measurement of the atomic mass of He-4 (with an uncertainty of 16 ppt) as an example, our current system of making measurements will be discussed, and then contrasted with the methods we will use in the future.  We plan to measure of the mass difference between H-3 and He-3, which will give an independent check on a free parameter of the future KATRIN neutrino-mass measurement.

Our new apparatus consists of an external ion source, which will supply ions-of-interest to a pair of Penning traps 1.5 meters away. A custom-designed Penning ion source has been constructed and tested for this purpose.  Also, the trajectories of ions into the strong magnetic field region of the Penning traps has been simulated, and a computer-controlled system for switching voltages to trap ions from the beam, and transfer them between traps, has been built. This new system should allow quick interrogation of different ions, reducing some sources of uncertainty.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.