[Triumf-seminars] UBC Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, Thu 2004-09-16 at 16:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:14:37 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2004-09-16 at 16:00

Location: Hennings 201 (UBC)

Speaker: Larry McLerran (Brookhaven National Laboratory)

Title: Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider and Ultra-Dense Matter

Abstract: I discuss the resent results from the RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider). I argue that there is strong evidence that the Quark Gluon plasma has been produced. The Quark Gluon Plasma is an unconfined system of quarks and gluons at temperatures larger than about 200 MeV. I also argue that there are suggestions that another new form of matter, the Color Glass Condensate, has been seen in the early stages of the collisions. The Color Glass Condensate is a universal form of strongly interacting matter which controls the high energy limit of Quantum Chromodynamics.

Coffee and cookies in Hennings 325 at 3:45 pm