[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Wed 2004-11-10 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jennifer Johnson (Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics, Victoria)

Title:     Nucleosynthesis in the Beginning

Abstract: After the Big Bang, the Universe was composed essentially of hydrogen and helium. This imposed consraints on the kinds of nuclear reactions that could happen when the Universe started to build the heavier elements, and we can see these restrictions in the history of enrichment in the Universe. I will focus on three cases where this was important: the production of primary nitrogen, the odd-Z elements, and the neutron-capture elements, in particular Eu and Pb. I will show that studying nucleosynthesis is a powerful tool for understanding the early Universe.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.