[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Thu 2005-02-10 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Joao de Jesus (Univ. of North Carolina)

Title:     Time-Reversal-Violating Nuclear Schiff Moments

Abstract: I develop a technique to calculate the time-reversal-violating Schiff moment of valence-neutron nuclei, and apply it to 129Xe and 199Hg. The Schiff moment is responsible for inducing electric dipole moments in atoms. The current best experimental limit on an atomic electric dipole moment is in 199Hg. The goal of this work is to better use the limits on electric dipole moments to obtain limits on underlying sources of time-reversal-violation. After obtaining the ground- and excited-state wave functions of the nuclei neighboring 129Xe and 199Hg in the quasi-particle random phase approximation (QRPA), I treat the ground states of 129Xe and 199Hg themselves as single quasi-particle states with perturbative corrections (including QRPA core polarization) induced by parity (P)- and time-reversal (T)-violating pion-exchange potentials. The experimental limit on the atomic electric dipole moment of 199Hg, together with my results, constrain the strength of P- and T-odd pion-nucleon couplings, the limits on which can in turn be used to constrain fundamental sources of T violation. My self-consistent approach has some advantages over previous RPA-based work: I treat pairing explicitly, test the sensitivity of the results using several Skyrme interactions, and compare related observables, e.g., the distribution of isoscalar Schiff strength in 208Pb, with experimental data.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.