[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Mon 2005-04-04 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Achim Schwenk (Nuclear Theory Center, Indiana University)

Title:     From nuclear forces to nuclei and neutron stars

Abstract: Nucleons are strongly interacting composite particles and thus nuclear forces have a complex structure. To date, a number of microscopically guided models have been fitted with high precision to nuceon-nucleon scattering. I show how these different interaction models lead to a universal low-momentum interaction, called V_{low k}, which unifies all microscopic nuclear forces. Corresponding low-momentum three-nucleon interactions are perturbative and therefore tractable in nuclei. I discuss promising results in nuclear structure and highlight an application to pairing in neutron stars and its impact on neutron star cooling.

Theory Research Scientist Candidate

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.