[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 12:30

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Fri 2005-10-07 at 12:30

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jalani Fox (Univ. of Toronto)

Title:     Phase Space State Reconstruction and Modified Quantum Accelerator Modes with neutral atoms in Optical Lattices

Abstract: In this talk I present our work on phase space tomography and briefly cover our ongoing work on a quantum delta kicked rotor. These are two fairly different experiments both of which utilize neutral rubidium 85 atoms in far detuned (~20GHz) optical lattice.

Phase space tomography is a measurement process which can be used to map out the Husimi and Wigner quasi-probability distributions of quantum states. From these distributions, which fully characterize the state, the expectation of observables of the state can be calculated. We have performed this measurement process on the vibrational states of atoms in an optical lattice. A description of the experimental procedure and the results of the measurement on a coherent state and a 'non-classical' state will be detailed.

The quantum delta kicked rotor is a workhorse of classical-quantum correspondence, showing interesting features such as dynamical localization versus limitless heating for the classical kicked rotor, and quantum accelerator modes to be contrasted with their classical counterparts. I will briefly describe a work in progress studying a modified kicked rotor[1] where the simple stationary pulsed lattice now has a time dependent position. The modification used here results in interesting alterations to the observed heating rate and quantum accelerator modes as well as other features which are still being investigated.

[1] Jiangbin Gong, Hans Worner and Paul Brumer, Phys. Rev. E 68, 056202 (2003)

Please bring your own lunch.