[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar, Thu 2006-01-12 at 13:00

postmaster@ADMIN.TRIUMF.CA postmaster@ADMIN.TRIUMF.CA
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:05:59 -0800

Date/Time: Thu 2006-01-12 at 13:00  (Please note the unusual time.)

Location: Auditorium

Speaker: Fred Cooperstock (University of Victoria)

Title: Galactic Dynamics via General Relativity: Does Exotic Dark Matter Really Exist?

Abstract: I will discuss the reasoning that led us to a new general relativistic approach to explaining the velocity distribution of the stars in the galaxies (“flat rotation curves”).  The field equations of general relativity introduce a very different structure to the coupling between field and matter than that seen in Newtonian physics. They lead to smaller galactic masses and excellent fits to the rotation curves without the need for massive extended halos of exotic dark matter that Newtonian theory demands. I will discuss some of the key issues presented by our critics and how we resolve them.

Stimulants will be available 15 minutes before the talk.