[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Mon 2006-02-13 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jason Holt (SUNY Stony Brook)

Title:     Low-momentum nucleon-nucleon interaction and mixed-symmetry states in N=52 isotones

Abstract: In this seminar I will discuss two theoretical applications of the low-momentum nucleon-nucleon interaction V_low-k. It has long been known that core polarization calculated to second order in perturbation theory has been successful in describing various nuclear observables, but the effect of high-order diagrams has been a persistent question. In the first part of the talk, I will describe an all-order summation of a large class of core polarization diagrams using the Kirson-Babu-Brown induced interaction approach. When applied to sd-shell nuclei, this process yields results close to second order. For the second part, I will focus on mixed-symmetry (MS) states in N=52 isotones. Recently, detailed descriptions have emerged for the structure of MS states in the even-mass nuclei ^92Zr and ^94Mo, but the major questions of how these states behave in odd-mass nuclei and, more generally, as a function of proton number are still unanswered. Using V_low-k will present shell model calculations providing the first clear theoretical picture of MS states in both of these cases.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.