[Triumf-seminars] *** RESCHEDULED *** TRIUMF Special Seminar, Tue 2006-02-14 at 13:00

postmaster@ADMIN.TRIUMF.CA postmaster@ADMIN.TRIUMF.CA
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:43:57 -0800

PLEASE NOTE: This seminar, originally scheduled for Monday Feb 13, has been rescheduled to take place Tuesday, Feb 14.

Date/Time: Tue 2006-02-14 at 13:00

Location: Auditorium

Speaker: Jason Holt (SUNY Stony Brook)

Title: Low-momentum nucleon-nucleon interaction and mixed-symmetry states in N=52 isotones

Abstract: In this seminar I will discuss two theoretical applications of the low-momentum nucleon-nucleon interaction V_low-k. It has long been known that core polarization calculated to second order in perturbation theory has been successful in describing various nuclear observables, but the effect of high-order diagrams has been a persistent question. In the first part of the talk, I will describe an all-order summation of a large class of core polarization diagrams using the Kirson-Babu-Brown induced interaction approach. When applied to sd-shell nuclei, this process yields results close to second order. For the second part, I will focus on mixed-symmetry (MS) states in N=52 isotones. Recently, detailed descriptions have emerged for the structure of MS states in the even-mass nuclei ^92Zr and ^94Mo, but the major questions of how these states behave in odd-mass nuclei and, more generally, as a function of proton number are still unanswered. Using V_low-k will present shell model calculations providing the first clear theoretical picture of MS states in both of these cases.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.

Postponed from Feb 13 due to the snow delay.