[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 10:30

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Wed 2006-03-08 at 10:30

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Ionel Stetcu (University of Arizona)

Title:     Nuclear structure observables within the ab-initio no-core shell model

Abstract: The ab initio no-core shell model (NCSM) is a powerful many-body technique, which provides bound-state solutions to the Schrodinger equation for A interacting nucleons in a restricted space, starting from realistic nucleon-nucleon interactions that accurately fit the experimental haseshifts. The approach involves the use of a unitary transformation to obtain effective interactions in a restricted model space, which allows a many-body calculation by means of large scale diagonalization. I will discuss recent developments in the NCSM, such as the application of the unitary transformation approach to general(non-scalar) operators. Finally, I will present a new approach, based on effective field theory, to the derivation of effective operators directly in a truncated harmonic oscillator basis, appropriate for NCSM calculations. This approach makes possible obtaining reliable effective interactions for heavier nuclei, relevant to astrophysics, in model spaces that should still be numerically tractable. In this talk, I will concentrate on the description of two-body scattering observables in a restricted harmonic oscillator basis.

Note the unusual time. Coffees will be served at 10:15.