[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Thu 2006-03-16 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   David J. Jones (UBC)

Title:     The Union of Ultrafast Optics and Ultrastable Lasers: the Revolution Stimulated by Femtosecond Frequency Combs

Abstract: Following their development in early 2000 at Germany (MPQ) and Colorado (JILA), femtosecond frequency combs (FFC) initiated a revolution in optical frequency metrology and optical spectroscopy in general.  Once properly stabilized, FFCs enable a direct phase-coherent link (i.e. a, clockwork) between microwave and optical frequencies via a single laser.  This ground-breaking advance was cited by the Nobel committee in their 2005 Nobel Prize for Physics to Ted Haensch and Jan Hall. Stabilization of the frequency comb emitted by an ultrafast laser has also enabled production of carrier-envelope phase-stabilized femtosecond pulses, thereby spurring seminal work in attosecond metrology. In this talk, I will first review the underlying ideas as well as the development and early results of FFC-based optical frequency metrology obtained at while I was at JILA. And as the comb technology itself has matured, new areas of application have continually emerged.  I will discuss work in two such areas currently being pursued at UBC: formation of vibrationally cold hetro-nuclear molecules and development of a small-scale extreme-ultraviolet/soft X-ray source (10-100 eV) with high resolution (0.5 meV) and high photon flux (10^13 photons/sec).

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.