[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 11 May 2006 05:00:01 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2006-05-11 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Paul C. Haljan (Simon Fraser University)

Title:     Where Atoms, MEMS and Information Science Meet: Trapped ion quantum computing

Abstract: A system of laser-addressed trapped ions offers not only an attractive platform for quantum computation and simulation but also a highly controllable testbed for fundamental quantum atom optics. In this talk I will look at some of the challenges that we have faced in my former group at the University of Michigan towards realizing scalable quantum computing with cadmium ions. The group has a three-pronged attack pursuing microstructure development for scalable ion trap designs, photon-assisted entanglement and, finally, high fidelity phonon-mediated entanglement using ultracold ions and spin-dependent optical forces. Our realization of a phase-stable entangling gate for pairs of ions opened the door to simple algorithms including quantum tomography of entangled states and the first demonstration of Grover's quantum search in a readily scalable system.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.