[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 05:00:00 -0700

Date/Time: Thu 2006-09-07 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Elizabeth Padilla-Rodal (TRIUMF)

Title:     Nuclear properties of neutron-rich Ge isotopes

Abstract: As we try to study nuclei farther from stability, the determination of experimental observables becomes increasingly challenging with low intensity beams, short lived species and high background experiments. Recently at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) we report [1] the measurement for the B(E2;0+ -> 2+) values for the radioactive germanium isotopes 78,80Ge and the closed shell nucleus 82Ge. This measurement constitute an excellent example of how the combination of novel techniques, powerful detection systems and good quality Radioactive Ion Beams (RIBs) can help to overcome these problems.

With only four protons outside the closed shell Z=28, Ge nuclei are currently the lightest isotopic chain that allows the study of B(E2) values between the sub-shell closure N=40 and the major shell N=50. While the availability of this experimental data constitutes a challenging test for theoretical models it would be highly desirable to measure other nuclear properties such as quadrupole
moments, g-factors and masses. I will present the status of the program towards studying nuclear properties of Ge isotopes at the ORNL's Holifield Radioactive Ion Beam Facility.

____
[1] E. Padilla-Rodal et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 94 (2005) 122501.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.