[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 11:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Oct 25 09:14:29 PDT 2006

Date/Time: Wed 2006-10-25 at 11:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   R. G. Hamish Robertson (University of Washington)

Title:     Neutrino Physics for the Masses

Abstract: Physicists have grown up thinking of the “electron neutrino” as a neutral elementary particle that accompanies beta decay, streams from the sun as it produces its energy, and fills the universe as a primordial relic.   It has thus been somewhat of a shock to find experimentally that it is not a particle at all, but a quantum-mechanical superposition of three different massive particles that each has a mixture of flavors.  The masses, tiny though they are, have exposed this master of disguise for what it is, and in the process have revealed the first flaw in the trusty Standard Model.  That neutrinos have mass is unequivocal from the observation of neutrino oscillations, but the actual values of the masses remain unknown.  We will summarize where we stand and speculate on where all this might be headed.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.