[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Mon Nov 6 05:00:03 PST 2006

Date/Time: Mon 2006-11-06 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Thomas Papenbrock (University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National Lab)

Title:     Frontiers in Nuclear Structure Theory

Abstract: Microscopic nuclear structure calculations have much improved over the last decade, and it is now possible to build nuclei from scratch using high-precison potentials and powerful methods that solve the nuclear many-body problem. Coupled-cluster theory is one such approach and I will present the results of recent calculations. For Helium isotopes, the basic properties are reproduced (i.e. He-5 and He-7 are clearly unbound), and the calculated decay widths are in semiquantitative agreement with experiment. Calculations of the spectrum of O-16 are well converged and hint at the effect of missing three-nucleon forces. These forces are yet to be fully explored for heavier systems, and first steps toward this goal will be presented. Finally, I will also touch on some interdisciplinary aspects of the nuclear many-body problem and present results for ultracold Fermi gases with a large scattering length, and results from DMRG (density matrix renormalization group) calculations for nuclei and spin chains.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.