[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 11:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Nov 14 05:00:01 PST 2006

Date/Time: Tue 2006-11-14 at 11:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Cecilia Lunardini (University of Washington)

Title:     Neutrino Astrophysics and Core Collapse Supernovae

Abstract: I review the role of neutrinos in particle-nuclear astrophyics. In particular, I show how neutrinos are connected to the questions of the nature of stellar power, the origin of cosmic rays, the existence of baryon asymmetry in the universe, the nature of dark matter, and the origin of heavy elements.  Research on these topics is a way to investigate the properties of the neutrino, in addition to advance astrophysics and cosmology. I focus on supernova neutrinos, showing results of ongoing research to constrain their spectrum and to use the constraints to predict future observables.

The speaker is a candidate for a research scientist position in the theory group. Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.