[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Nov 22 05:00:01 PST 2006

Date/Time: Wed 2006-11-22 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Chris Ruiz (University of York, UK)

Title:     Important Measurements in Astrophysics

Abstract: The last quarter-century has seen tremendous refinement in the field of nuclear astrophysics, due to the onset of gamma-ray astronomy and the development of radioactive beams. With the quota of isotope-specific astrophysical observables such as characteristic gamma rays and pre-solar grains ever increasing, now more than ever do we have the chance to compare explosive stellar model predictions to astronomical data in a detailed manner.

The production of these observables is sensitive to a few key nuclear reactions, hidden inside a complex network of nucleosynthetic processes, but how can we determine which reactions are most crucial to measure, and how can we proceed to make measurements of the quality and impact desired to further the field and the understanding of our universe?

In this talk, as well as a discussion of the above, I will present my research into reactions and structure relevant to the production of diagnostic gamma-ray emitters, as well as some of my present and future involvement into nuclear properties relevant to other astrophysical observables and model predictions.

The speaker is a candidate for a research scientist position in experimental nuclear astrophysics. Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.