[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jan 18 05:00:00 PST 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-01-18 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Darren Grant (Case Western Reserve University)

Title:     The Cryogenic Dark Matter Search: Methods, Results and Future Directions

Abstract: Despite significant experimental progress in the understanding of our universe, propelled by recent measurements of the Cosmic Microwave Background, a clear and pervasive fact has remained:  almost 95% of the matter-energy composition remains a mystery. The purported Dark Matter represents a fraction of this unknown, for which a leading candidate are Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs). An favored example of WIMPs is the lightest supersymmetric particle, the neutralino, that arises
naturally in extensions of the Standard Model.  Interactions of neutralinos with terrestrial matter may occur via elastic scattering with nuclei.  Hence, low background detectors designed with high sensitivity to nuclear recoils may be used to search for Dark Matter.

The Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMS) uses Ge and Si detectors, instrumented with phonon and ionization sensors and operated below 50 mK, to measure the energy deposited by a recoiling nucleus.  In this talk I will present an overview of the detector technology and analysis methods that have produced the most recent world leading results of the search for Dark Matter Search by CDMS-II.  I will also address the current status of the experiment and its future direction, including the currently proposed SuperCDMS experiment.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.