[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Mon Feb 26 05:00:02 PST 2007

Date/Time: Mon 2007-02-26 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Andy Howell (University of Toronto)

Title:     A super-Chandrasekhar Mass Type Ia supernova and other surprises from the Supernova Legacy Survey

Abstract: The five year Supernova Legacy Survey (SNLS) has discovered more then 300 Type Ia supernovae (SNe Ia) in three years of operation with the goal of measuring the Dark Energy equation of state, w.  In addition to producing the best published constraints on Dark Energy, we have made progress in understanding Type Ia supernovae as distance indicators and astrophysical phenomena.  One surprise is the case of SNLS-03D3bb, a supernova whose extreme brightness and low expansion velocity imply that it is the explosion of a white dwarf that exceeded the theoretical maximum mass, the Chandrasekhar limit.  This supernova is an extreme case of bright SNe Ia that are associated with star formation, whose rates are increasing with redshift.  We show that the average properties of supernovae are evolving with redshift, and discuss the implications for current measurements of w and future measurements of time-variable w.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.