[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Feb 27 05:00:01 PST 2007

Date/Time: Tue 2007-02-27 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Michael Forbes (Institute for Nuclear Theory, U. of Washington)

Title:     Understanding Many-Body Theory: From Cold Atoms to Cold Dark Matter

Abstract: In this talk I will discuss some of the universal properties of cold systems comprising two species of fermions with short-range interactions.  Formally these systems are extremely simple, but they exhibit tremendous variety, and are approachable with many different tools, from experiment to Monte-Carlo simulations.  Apart from being interesting in their own right, they provide a testing ground for the many-body theory required to understand other more complicated
systems, such as electronic superconductors, conventional superfluids, and nuclear matter in nuclei, neutron stars, and possibly even the missing dark matter in our universe.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk. The speaker is a candidate for a 5 year theory fellow position.