[Triumf-seminars] UBC Physics & Astronomy Colloquium today at 16:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 8 05:00:00 PST 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-03-08 at 16:00

Location:  Hennings 201, UBC

Speaker:   David Kaplan (John Hopkins University)

Title:     Scalar Fields and Symmetry Breaking in Particle Physics and Cosmology

Abstract: We have never seen a fundamental particle without spin.  However,  spinless particles, represented by scalar fields in quantum field  theory, appear in nearly every new physics model beyond the current  description of particle physics.  Moreover, the mass of a generic  scalar field is quantum mechanically unstable and may suggest the  existence of dramatically new symmetry structures in the laws of  physics.  In the mean time, theoretical arguments suggest that we are  both on the verge of seeing one of these fields (the Higgs) and have  already seen indirect evidence for one (the Inflaton).  I will  describe the physics of these types of particles and discuss the  theoretical possibilities of physics beyond the current standard  model of particle physics.

Jointly sponsored by UBC and TRIUMF.