[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 29 05:00:00 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-03-29 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Mark Boulay (Queen's University)

Title:     Status of the DEAP liquid argon dark matter search experiment

Abstract: he search for cosmological dark matter in the form of weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs) is currently an area of intense activity worldwide. Detection of dark matter particles would make those the largest known component of our universe and would require significant extension to the standard model of particle physics. In this talk I will discuss the relatively new technique of using a liquid-phase scintillation-only argon experiment for detection of WIMPs, and constrast this
to other approaches. In the DEAP approach (Dark Matter Experiment using Argon Pulse-shape discrimination) scintillation time differences between singlet and triplet states in liquid argon allow a powerful discrimination of beta-gamma background events from WIMP-induced nuclear recoils, projected to be near 1 in 10^{10} near our detector energy threshold. I will present the status of the 10-kg prototype detector (DEAP-1), which is being used to demonstrate the discrimination available in liquid argon and will be deployed at SNOLAB for a sensitive dark matter particle search.  I will also present the current status of the design for the planned 1000-kg liquid argon experiment.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk. This seminar is jointly sponsored by TRIUMF and UVic.