[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF ISAC Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Jun 13 05:00:00 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Wed 2007-06-13 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Subhadeep De (KVI / University of Groningen)

Title:     Towards Testing of Fundamental Symmetries

Abstract: TRIuP (Trapped Radioactive Isotopes micro - laboratories for fundamental Physics) is dedicated to search for various possible extensions of the known Standard Model (SM).  Violation of discrete symmetries (Parity (P), Time reversal (T) and Charge conjugation (C)) in electro-weak interaction offers to know the physics beyond the SM.  Within the TRIuP we are preparing three precision experiments (1) beta - neutrino correlation measurements in beta decay of 21Na, (2) searching Permanent Electric Dipole Moment (EDM) in 213Ra and (3) looking for parity nonconservation in Ra+ to test the SM.

EDM of an atom violates both P and T symmetry.  Few short lived radium (Ra) isotopes has orders of magnitude enhancement in the EDM signal due to their atomic and nuclear structure, compare to any other known systems [1].  Laser cooling and trapping increases sensitivity of such a measurement by storing them into the experimental region for longer time.  Our proposed laser cooling scheme for Ra has stronger leak into the lower lying metastable D-states, thus it requires improvement of the known laser cooling technique.  Barium (Ba) has similar energy
level structure as Ra, thus we use Ba as a piloting candidate for implementing the laser cooling technique for such a leaky level scheme [2].  We will demonstrate consequences involved in laser cooling for such a system and also report on the achievements.

[1] V. A. Dzuba et al., PRA 61, 062509, (2000).
[2] Ph.D thesis of U. Dammalapati, University of Groningen, The Netherlands (2006).