[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jun 14 05:00:00 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-06-14 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Alfredo Galindo-Uribarri (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)

Title:     Accelerator Mass Spectrometry and Radioactive Ion Beams

Abstract: I describe the opportunities available at Oak Ridge National Laboratory using the highest voltage electrostatic accelerator in the world, the 25-MV tandem of the Holifield Radioactive Ion Beam Facility (HRIBF), to measure two important AMS isotopes 14C and 36Cl. For the case of 36Cl, we measured the isotopic ratios 36Cl/Cl of various seawater samples taken from around the world finding significant variation in the content of this isotope. We have pushed the limits of sensitivity of the AMS technique for the detection of 36Cl by an order of magnitude. I will discuss how two fields of research with apparently little in common, Radioactive Ion Beam Physics and AMS, complement each other in techniques to isolate the isobars of interest. Applications that require the highest sensitivity levels for AMS will be discussed.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.