[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF ISAC Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Fri Jun 15 05:00:00 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Fri 2007-06-15 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Amlan Ray (Variable Energy Cyclotron Center, Kolkata, India)

Title:     Change of half-life of electron capturing nuclei in different media and its implications

Abstract: The half-lives of electron capturing nuclei are expected to depend on surrounding environment and this effect was first observed for 7Be. I shall discuss about recent measurements (performed at Variable Energy Cyclotron Center, Kolkata, India and elsewhere) of change of 7Be decay rate in different media and how our understanding of such variations in decay rate affects predicted 8B solar neutrino. We have also performed high precision measurement of the change of half-life of heavier (110Sn, 109In) electron capturing nuclei in different environments and found that the half-lives of 110Sn and 109In are longer by (0.48±0.25)% and (1.00±0.17)% respectively in lead compared to those in gold. A qualitative explanation of this observation based on the electron affinity of the host medium and screening of inner shell electrons of tin and indium by valence electrons would be discussed. Possible implication in nucleosynthesis process and other areas would be discussed.