[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Aug 7 05:00:00 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Tue 2007-08-07 at 14:00

Location:  MOB Conference Room

Speaker:   Almudena Arcores (GSI)

Title:     Neutrino-driven supernova outflows

Abstract: We perform long-time hydrodynamic simulations of the neutrino-driven mass outflow from the surface of the newly formed neutron star in a supernova. In agreement with previous relativistic wind studies, we find the outflow to accelerate to supersonic velocities and in case of a compact ~1.3 Mo (gravitational mass) neutron star with a radius of about 10km to reach entropies of about 100kB per nucleon. The wind, however, is decelerated and shock-heated abruptly when it runs into a wind termination shock between the fast outflow and the slower receding supernova ejecta. We demonstrate that the entropy jump through this reverse shock can be larger than a factor of three. The temperature of the shocked wind at this time has dropped to about 10^9K, and density and temperature continue to decrease only very slowly. Such conditions could be very favorable for r-process. The evolution of the wind termination shock depends not only on the wind properties, but also on the progenitor structure as well as on anisotropic matter distribution due to multidimensional instabilities.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.