[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Sep 20 05:00:01 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-09-20 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   David Measday (University of British Columbia)

Title:     Muon Capture in Nuclei

Abstract: A series of experiments at TRIUMF studied muon capture in nuclei, via the weak interactions, and have recently been analyzed. The capture occurs when the µ- is in a 1s atomic level, and 9 nuclei from N to Bi were studied. The gamma-rays resulting from the capture identify the reaction which occurred, and our results are far more complete than earlier experiments. We assume that the weak interactions are understood, and so we study the nuclear transitions that occur, which are mainly 1+ and 1- spin-isospin. Comparisons with the reactions (p, n), (n, p) and (d, 2He) are useful, as well as with (gamma, p).

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.