[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Oct 10 05:00:01 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Wed 2007-10-10 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Sonia Bacca (GSI)

Title:     Long-range tensor correlations in nuclei

Abstract: We develop and implement a method to better account for long range correlations in nuclei when working with a Slater Determinant basis in the framework of the Fermionic Molecular Dynamics. We construct single particle states with mixed isospin and  we then generate new intrinsic shapes by minimizing the many-body state energy  after charge and parity projection. With respect to the simple Hartree-Fock picture we obtain systematic lower ground state energies for the considered light mass nuclei. We present a detailed study for the alpha-particle using as interaction the correlated Argonne AV18 potential, constructed within the Unitary Operator Correlation Method. By comparing with exact few-body calculations, we prove that our approach enables, starting from one single Slater Determinant, to take into  account  one third of the long range tensor correlations induced on the binding energy, completely missing in the mean field picture.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.