[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Oct 18 05:00:01 PDT 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-10-18 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Des Ramsay (University of Manitoba and TRIUMF)

Title:     The Qweak experiment: how a dedicated group with TRIUMF support might discover new physics at the TeV scale before the LHC

Abstract: By measuring parity violation in the scattering of longitudinally polarized electrons from liquid hydrogen, the Qweak experiment will measure the charge of the proton as seen by the Z-boson -- i.e. the weak charge. The measured weak charge is screened by clouds of virtual particles in the vacuum, and by taking into account all known particles, Standard Model calculations make firm predictions for what our result should be. Nature, on the other hand, will use all particles, including ones not yet discovered, so a discrepancy between our measurement and the Standard Model prediction would be sign of new physics (e.g a heavy Z' boson, SUSY, ...). At our predicted accuracy we could see the effects of new physics at the TeV scale.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.