[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar, Mon 2007-11-26 at 14:00

postmaster at ADMIN.TRIUMF.CA postmaster at ADMIN.TRIUMF.CA
Mon Nov 26 08:57:18 PST 2007

Date/Time: Mon 2007-11-26 at 14:00

Location: Auditorium

Speaker: Bernd Stelzer (UCLA)

Title: Evidence for Single Top Quark Production at CDF

Abstract: In 1995, the CDF and DZero collaborations at the Tevatron collider at Fermilab discovered top quarks that were produced in pairs via the strong interaction. With a mass close to that of a gold atom, the top quark is by far the heaviest elementary particle known thus far. Even twelve years after its discovery, much remains to be known about the top quark. I will present recent evidence for single top quark production mediated through the weak interaction. This alternative mechanism of producing top quarks at the Tevatron is experimentally very challenging to measure, but allows for a direct determination of the CKM matrix element |Vtb|. To separate the small signal from large amounts of background, we have developed a sophisticated advanced analysis technique which is generally applicable for discovery of small signals at the current and future energy frontier.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk. The speaker is an ATLAS research scientist candidate.