[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 11:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Nov 29 09:41:00 PST 2007

Date/Time: Thu 2007-11-29 at 11:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Aran Garcia-Bellido (U. Washington)

Title:     Evidence for Production of Single Top Quarks at D0 and A First Direct Measurement of |Vtb|

Abstract: The analysis of W+jets events is an important topic at hadron colliders since many interesting signals share this final state: a W boson and two or more jets. I'll present the latest efforts to understand these events in the search for electroweak production of top quarks. And what we have learnt about how to extract a small signal from very large backgrounds using three different multivariate techniques: boosted decision trees, Bayesian neural networks and a matrix element calculation. I will discuss these results and their significance with 0.9 fb-1 of D0 data, which led to the first evidence for the production of single top quarks.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk. The speaker is an ATLAS research scientist candidate.