[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Feb 14 05:00:00 PST 2008

Date/Time: Thu 2008-02-14 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Stacy McGaugh (University of Maryland)

Title:     Seeing through Dark Matter

Abstract: Evidence for mass discrepancies in the universe has steadily accumulated over the past few decades.  There is now a well developed paradigm in which the universe is filled with some novel non-baryonic particle, usually presumed to be a WIMP.  As yet, we have nothing but astronomical evidence for the existence of this dark matter, and only ideas about what it may be.  An even more radical notion is that the observed mass discrepancies indicate a failure of gravitational theory on the relevant scales.  I will discuss the astronomical evidence that favors and disfavors both interpretations.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.