[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jun 12 05:00:00 PDT 2008

Date/Time: Thu 2008-06-12 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jason Holt (TRIUMF)

Title:     Nuclear Structure in Medium-Mass Nuclei: Beyond Two-Nucleon Forces

Abstract: This talk will focus on presenting recent work in which low-momentum internuclear interactions are used to describe nuclear structure properties of medium-mass nuclei. I will begin with the long-standing problem of the beta decay of 14C to the 14N ground state. Employing low-momentum interactions, the Gamow-Teller (GT) matrix element is found to be too large to describe the known lifetime.  However, using a density-dependent modification of this potential, the GT matrix element vanishes for a nuclear density around 85% that of nuclear matter, reproducing the observed anomalously-long lifetime.  Taking a more microscopic viewpoint, I will then discuss recent results and future prospects of a theoretical program which aims to include three-nucleon (3N) forces to describe nuclear structure properties of medium-mass nuclei.  In particular, I will show the effect 3N forces have on the monopole part of the internuclear interaction and their role in explaining the shift in monopole strengths between phenomenological and microscopic interactions.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.