[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jul 24 05:00:00 PDT 2008

Date/Time: Thu 2008-07-24 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Doug Beck (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)

Title:     Progress on the G0 Experiment

Abstract: The G0 Experiment measures the parity-violating scattering of longitudinally polarized electrons from protons and deuterons at Jefferson Lab.  Such measurements determine the interference between the electromagnetic and neutral weak currents, and thereby allow us to extract the weak interaction contributions.  For elastic scattering, they allow us to separate the strange quark contributions to the charge and magnetic form factors; for inelastic scattering they provide information on axial currents.  Our experimental setup also allows us to measure small, single-spin asymmetries with a transversely polarized beam that are sensitive to two-photon contributions to the electromagnetic scattering.  I will provide an update on the status of the experiment including that of the analysis of the recent backward angle running.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.