[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Nov 13 05:00:00 PST 2008

Date/Time: Thu 2008-11-13 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Paul Mantica (NSCL, Michigan State University)

Title:     Beta-decay studies and the structure of nuclei near exotic, doubly magic nuclei

Abstract: I will report on recent beta-decay studies at NSCL aimed to elucidate the structure of short-lived nuclei and determine the robustness of the shell gaps in the vicinity of Sn-100,132, Ca-52, and Mg-32.  I will highlight the advantages offered by producing such nuclei via fast fragmentation, where event-by-event correlation methods allow for detection of individual beta-decay events.  I will also discuss the performance of the new Radio Frequency Fragment Separator, which further purifies secondary beams based on time-of-flight and has aided the extension of the beta decay program at NSCL to very neutron-deficient nuclei.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.