[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Mon Dec 8 05:00:00 PST 2008

Date/Time: Mon 2008-12-08 at 14:00

Location:  MOB Conference Room

Speaker:   George Hou (National Taiwan University)

Title:     CP Violation for the Heaven and the Earth

Abstract: The baryon asymmetry of the Universe requires CP violation, but the Standard Model falls short by a factor of 10**-10 or more. We point out that the large Yukawa couplings of a sequential fourth generation of quarks can enhance the Jarlskog invariant by a factor of over 10**13, making the 2-3-4 generation quark sector a viable source of CP violation for the baryon asymmetry of the Universe. Our observation started from a clue at the B factories, which anticipated the recent hint of large sin2beta_s in B_s -> J/psi phi mode from the Tevatron. The ultimate test would be to discover the t' and b' quarks at the Large Hadron Collider, which would also be touched upon. If so, in a few years we could uncover on Earth, the CPV relevant for the Heavens.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.