[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar, Thu 2009-01-15 at 11:30

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Mon Jan 12 10:58:07 PST 2009

Date/Time: Thu 2009-01-15 at 11:30

Location: Auditorium

Speaker: Akira Goto (RIKEN,  Nishina Centre, Japan)

Title: Status of RIKEN RI Beam Factory

Abstract: The RI beam factory at the RIKEN Nishina Center houses an accelerator complex consisting of a linac, an AVF cyclotron and four ring cyclotrons that allows us to provide users with all kinds of ions up to uranium at a wide range of energies from around 1 MeV/nucleon to several hundreds of MeV/nucleon. A characteristic feature of the accelerator complex is that at the final stage of the four ring cyclotrons is a superconducting ring cyclotron (SRC), the world's unique and most powerful cyclotron with K=2,600 MeV. Recently we accelerated with the SRC a uranium beam at 345 MeV/nucleon and delivered to the RI beam production target with an intensity of 0.3 pnA in average, and succeeded in producing 21 new isotopes at a mass range of around 100 and above. We also accelerated a 345 MeV/nucleon calcium-48 beam with an intensity of higher than 100 pnA for the structure studies of very neutron-rich nuclei at and very closed to the neutron-drip line. In my talk, will be given
an introduction of the RI beam factory as well as the operational status of the accelerator complex including the issues on the stability of the accelerators and the lifetimes of carbon stripper foils. On-going plans to construct a new injector linac equipped with a 28 GHz superconducting ECR ion source as well as experimental apparatuses will also be introduced.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.