[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 13:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Apr 23 05:00:01 PDT 2009

Date/Time: Thu 2009-04-23 at 13:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Craig Group (FermiLab)

Title:     Observation of Electroweak Single Top Quark Production at the Tevatron

Abstract: I will report on the first observation of the electroweak production of single top quarks in proton anti-proton collisions at the Tevatron Collider. Until recently, the top quark had only been observed when produced in pairs.  I will describe the techniques used by the CDF and D0 collaborations to observe singly produced top quarks.  In addition to constraining important standard model parameters (such as the CKM matrix element V_tb), single top production has a similar final state to some low mass Higgs bosons searches, so a significant observation of this process is an important benchmark on the way to the Higgs boson.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk. Please note the unusual time.