[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 15:30

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Apr 28 05:00:01 PDT 2009

Date/Time: Tue 2009-04-28 at 15:30

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   JoAnne Hewett (SLAC)

Title:     Discovering the Quantum Universe:  The Role of Particle Accelerators

Abstract: We are on the verge of a revolution in our understanding of what the universe is made of and how it works. Today, a special opportunity is at hand to address the fundamental nature of the quantum universe through astrophysical observations, in underground experiments, and at particle accelerators.  Here, I will focus on the special role of particle colliders, which recreate the conditions in the first instants after the Big Bang.  The Large Hadron Collider, which is beginning operations this Fall, will provide the first clear look at a region of energy beyond the reach of today's colliders.  We expect that the LHC experiments will find new particles never before observed.  These particles will be messengers, telling profound stories about the universe.  I will highlight the role of the LHC in three scenarios: solving the mysteries of the Terascale, shedding light on Dark Matter, and hunting for ultimate unification.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.

Talk held in conjunction with LHC Theory Workshop at TRIUMF.  All welcome.