[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jun 18 05:00:02 PDT 2009

Date/Time: Thu 2009-06-18 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Petr Navratil (Lawrence Livermore National Lab)

Title:     Ab initio many-body calculations of light ion reactions

Abstract: We build a new ab initio many-body approach capable of describing simultaneously both bound and scattering states in light nuclei, by combining the resonating-group method with the ab initio no-core shell model. In this way, we complement a microscopic-cluster technique with the use of realistic interactions, and a microscopic and consistent description of the nucleon clusters, while preserving Pauli principle and translational symmetry. I will present results for neutron and proton scattering on light nuclei, including n- and p-4He,  12C, 16O and n-7Li. I will demonstrate that a proper treatment of the coupling to the n-10Be and n-12C continuum is essential to explain the parity-inverted ground state in 11Be and the low-lying 1/2+ state in 13C, respectively. Finally, I will discuss extension of our approach to include deuteron-nucleus channels.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.