[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jul 16 05:00:01 PDT 2009

Date/Time: Thu 2009-07-16 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Ralf Kaiser (University of Glasgow)

Title:     Towards a 3D Picture of Nucleon Structure

Abstract: Generalised Parton Distributions (GPDs) combine form factors and parton distribution functions in one theoretical framework. GPDs have attracted a lot of interest over the last few years mainly because they will allow '3d imaging' of the nucleon and because they provide a way to measure the orbital angular momentum of quarks inside the nucleon. GPDs are at the center of the physics programme for the JLab 12 GeV Upgrade. In this talk I will explore the future of GPD measurements in the short, medium and long
term. The short term includes the analysis of already existing data at HERA and JLab and ongoing measurements at JLab before the 12 GeV upgrade. In the medium term this concerns the JLab 12 GeV Upgrade and measurements at the COMPASS experiment at CERN. The long term future belongs to electron nucleon colliders, several of which have been proposed - the EIC at BNL or JLab and most recently the ENC at FAIR. As it is the most recent proposal and not yet so very well known, I will put a special emphasis on introducing the ENC project at FAIR.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.