[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Fri Aug 28 05:00:00 PDT 2009

Date/Time: Fri 2009-08-28 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Jeff Martin (University of Winnipeg)

Title:     Spin Control for Ultracold Neutrons

Abstract: Ultracold neutrons are neutrons that move so slowly that they can be confined to traps by material, magnetic, and gravitational walls.  The ultracold neutron source for TRIUMF was recently approved by funding agencies in Canada and Japan.  One of the projects proposed for the source is to search for a non-zero electric dipole of the neutron.  Measurements of electric dipole moments already severely limit new sources of CP violation beyond the standard model.  If a non-zero value were discovered at the level of experimental precision of this new experiment, it would signify a new source of CP violation.  I'll review progress towards the development of this exciting experiment.  This will focus on experiments using ultracold neutrons produced at our prototype source in Japan that we did this summer. These experiments revolved around production, storage, polarization, and manipulation of the spins of the ultracold neutrons.  The measurements culminated in the achievement of a Ramsey-resonance spectrum, which demonstrates the method used to precisely measure the spin-precession frequency of the neutrons.  The experiments indicate a roadmap to achieve the precision necessary to make a world-class measurement at TRIUMF.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.