[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Technical Seminar today at 13:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Nov 17 05:00:03 PST 2009

Date/Time: Tue 2009-11-17 at 13:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Prof. Thomas Walther (Physik - Technische Universitaet Darmstadt)

Title:     Trapping neutral Mercury: Status, Challenges, Prospects

Abstract: Trapping of neutral atoms has evolved into a very active research field combining aspects of quantum optics, atomic and molecular physics as well as solid state physics. During this talk we will discuss our experiment to trap neutral mercury in a magneto-optical trap. Specifically, we will focus on the status and the features of neutral mercury as a trapping species. Of particular interest are ultra-stable clocks and the formation of ultra-cold dimers by photo-association.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.